Friday, April 10, 2009
Semana Santa
When the Spanish observe a holiday, they really observe it. This is Semana Santa (Holy Week) and the public schools have been on a two week holiday (our school only gets one). Yesterday was Maundy Thursday and today is Good Friday and NOTHING is open either day. No grocery stores. No malls. No shops. Very few restaurants. It's like Christmas Day in the U.S., only they have these holidays throughout the year and they always sneak up on us. I have mixed emotions about it. On the one hand, I think it is good that they really value family togetherness and time off. This is definitely not a consumer-driven culture. On the other hand, I am still so accustomed to 24 hour availability that it frustrates me when I can't run to the store and get bread or bananas and having to do without. I'm learning...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment