While we started out with 3 high schoolers this fall, we are now down to one, but have also had the privilege of hosting a student teacher for the last 8 weeks. Ashley is a senior at Nyack College in New York and has been here student teaching in the 4th/5th grade class at ECA. She has been such a joy to have around our home and I have been reflecting a lot back on my college years and the struggles/freedoms that come with that time of life. We have had some very good talks and I am going to miss her so much, even though I've only known her for a short time.
This past weekend we hosted in our home a young lady, Jill, who was here to recruit juniors/seniors for her college. She was only here a few days, but on Sunday when we were getting ready to take her to the airport, Rachel broke down crying. I asked her what was wrong and she said she didn't know. Later, she told me that she was just so sad that Jill had to leave and wouldn't be able to play with her anymore. I told her it was ok to be sad and that I know it's hard to say goodbye to those we love. Last week she had to say goodbye to Grandma, this week it's Jill and next week our dear Ashley will be going home to her family. Then I asked Rachel if she knew who was always with her and who she would never have to say goodbye to. She said, "God. You never have to take him to the airport."
Monday, December 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
I hadn't visited "y'all's" blog for awhile, so I checked in today. Your story and Rachel's comment really struck a chord with me! It reminded me of all those airport good-byes I had to say while growing up between Africa and the States. I love Rachel's insightful comment about never having to take God to the airport... mind if I quote her? Something that has helped me in dealing with the sorrow of good-byes is to realize that the pieces of my heart that others take with them when they leave can never be replaced by anyone else, and that's alright. Thinking of you all!
Post a Comment