Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Como se dice "flyswatter?"

We have so many flies here that we have already broken the flyswatter that we bought after we came to Spain. So I (David) went to the Euro store (dollar store) here in town looking for a flyswatter. Once I arrived and couldn't find one I realized that I didn't know the Spanish word for "flyswatter" or "fly" for that matter. Nevertheless I found the Chinese man that owns and runs the place to ask him if he had any flyswatters. As I proceeded to act out a fly buzzing around (complete with sound effects) and then WHACK with my hand (also with sound effects) he looked at me like I was a little crazy. But after thinking for a second he smiled, said the name for a flyswatter, and then told me that they were all out. I still have no idea how to say "flyswatter" in Spanish, and we still have lots of flies, but my Spanish class begins next week.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

An absolutely classic story! Loved it!

djinny said...

I like babelfish for emergency translations.
http://babelfish.yahoo.com/

Bethany said...

sound effects??!? really?! i wish i could have been there!!

Anonymous said...

Thank you David for a much needed laugh today.
Kathy N.

Related Posts with Thumbnails